Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My Vegetable Garden

Thanks to my lovely husband, when I came home yesterday, the garden patch had been evened out and was FINALLY ready to receive seeds and baby plants! How exciting! So, based on the needs of each plant I want to grow, I divised a plan that would make the best possible use of my small garden.

I spent the whole afternoon (with some help from my husband) working on the project and am now proud to announce that my very first vegetable garden is in place! :)

Veggie garden - View from the balcony

I sowed and planted corn, cucumber, onion, garlic, tomato, iceberg lettuce, parsnip, carrot, peas, yellow beans, green beans, spinach, zucchini and pumpkin.

I don't necessarily have a lot of each, but seeing as this is my first garden, I really wanted to just explore and see what happens. For instance, I only planned for one pumpkin and one zucchini plant, as they each take up a lot of space. However, I am still waiting for the sprouts to be big enough to be transferred.

I decided to try only 2 of my 4 cucumber plants, as I am not confident they can thrive in their new environment. I have been preparing them for a little while now to be outside, but it is just SO windy here sometimes. We'll see. If in a few days I see that they are still fine, I will add the two last plants.

The onions are just a few onions that started sprouting, so I had put them in a pot until I could transfer them to the garden. As for the garlic plants, they were given to me by my neighbor about a month ago. I had planted them somewhere else until I could also move them to their permanent spot.

Here is the disposition of my garden. Note that he number of icons does not necessarily represent the number of plants / seeds used.


I really really hope this will work out and that at least some of the things will grow and produce successfully. I must say, though, that regardless of the end result, I feel I have already learned SO much this year about gardening. That's how it goes, I suppose... A little experience here, a little experience there, and perhaps at some point, I'll actually feel like I know what I'm doing out there. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment